Formentera is the island you wish you had heard of before; you are glad to be finally in on the secret and hope no one else will learn about it. The island is, of course, known to most tourists travelling to neighbouring Ibiza. But if you’re departing from anywhere else, it is a challenge to reach the small island. Formentera is only accessible by boat, making it somewhat more inaccessible. The island is a haven of soft beaches for those who are ready to stay there for a few days. No wonder it’s a favourite destination among Italians.Here are the multiples ways to get to this beautiful, laid-back island.
Ferries to Formentera
Several companies cross the waters between the port of La Savina in Formentera and Ibiza. Departures from Ibiza Town (Eivissa) are offered throughout the year, and others are added from May to September from a few other places on the party island. Take into consideration some ferries are faster than others.
- From Puerto de Ibiza:
- From Puerto de Ibiza, Playa d’en Bossa and Figueretas: Aqua Bus Ferry Boats. 30 minutes, one way. 30 EUR roundtrip.
- Santa Eulalia, Es Canar, Cala Llonga, Cala Pada and Es Figueral : Ferry Santa Eulalia. 1 hour, one way from Cala Llonga. 42 EUR roundtrip. The season ends at the end of October.
From Mainland Spain and Palma de Mollorca
- From Denia: Balearia. 67 EUR one way, 2 hours one way.
- From Mallorca: Balearia. 100 EUR one way, 4 hours one way.
- From Barcelona: Balearia. 82 EUR one way, 11 hours 30 min one way.
- From Valencia: Balearia. 69 EUR one way, 5 hours 50 min one way.
Fights to reach Formentera more easily
Since Formentera does not have an airport, you can obviously not fly there directly. On the other hand, considering that the island is very well connected to Ibiza, Formentera remains accessible to several European cities by combining a direct flight and a short ferry trip.
- Barcelona (BCN)
- Madrid (MAD)
- Seville (SVQ)
- Malaga (AGP)
- Bilbao (BIO)
From the UK
- London City (LCY)
From the Netherlands
- Amsterdam (AMS)
- Eindhoven (EIN)
- Paris (Orly) (ORY)
Boat Charter and Tours to Formentera
Nomad Sailing Trips – Ibiza Boat Charter – This is a full-fledged boat charter, and the price goes with it. If you are with a group, it will be worth it. Their Website
Sea experience Ibiza – The reviews aren’t stellar, but you still might want to take your chance with this company as it’s the only one offering tours to the island for under 100 USD $. Try to check if the reviews have improved before bookings. Their Website